The following information will give a detailed description of how the Boys Basketball Program will be following the Return to Play Health Guidelines and Protocols.
Welcome to a fall unlike any other! In “normal” times we would all be back in actual school and enjoying fall sports and getting ready for our pre-season program leading into November try-outs. But as we all know, this is no “normal” fall. While we navigate this unique and unusual time, we want to make the most of the opportunity to return to basketball in the most responsible and safe way possible. The following document will detail our plan for our voluntary, invitation only pre-season workouts which will initially consist of workouts lasting 90 minutes in duration two time per week with no more than 25 total participants in each workout per district and state health guidelines. If circumstances change we will adjust, like we always say we will be ready for the “next play”. The coaches will do their best to get information out to all participants via phone, email or on the basketball webpage, so I encourage all players to check their district email often for updates or changes.
I am very excited to get back together (at a safe distance of course) and get back to the fun of getting better at the game we all love. Having said that, it must also be said that all participants must follow all the guidelines below without fail or we will lose the privilege of continuing our workouts, so please read this document carefully and contact us with any questions you have.
Coach Grantz (719) 339-1068 firstname.lastname@example.org
Coach Freeman (719) 232-7750 email@example.com
Coach Durham (717) 668-0377 firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting September 28, we will have 2 separate groups in separate workouts. The coaches will inform each player as to which group/workout they are in.
Group 1 will have workouts on Mondays and Thursdays in Erps from 3:30-5:00pm
Group 2 will have workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Small Gym from 6-7:30pm (Starting October 27)
Before Any Workouts May Begin
- All students must have a waiver on file with either the coach/sponsor or athletics office. Please fill out the attached waiver and either send it to me via email or bring it with you to the fist day of workouts. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A WAIVER TURNED IN, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THE WAIVER. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS.
- Participants will report in proper gear and immediately return home to shower at the end of the workout/activity. Proper gear means, a regular t-shirt (no tank tops, sleeveless shirts), gym shorts, basketball shoes, a mask (to be worn upon entry and exit, masks MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES EVEN DURING THE WORKOUT PER STATE/DISTRICT MANDATE. We will adjust this policy if and when the State/District’s guidelines change).
- Restrooms should be used on an emergency basis only, so please use the restroom before you come to the workout.
- Participants must bring their own water and water bottles. Drinking fountains and water fountains will not be turned on. Water bottles should not be shared.
Checking Students in to Workout
- Students must arrive ON TIME to the workout. We have allotted the first 5 minutes to check in, if you do not arrive on time, you will not be allowed in once the workout starts. If you arrive early, you will need to stay in your car until the workout start time.
- Check in will start promptly at the scheduled start time of workout. Check in will occur at the east doors (by the football field) at Erps; or the north doors of the small gym.
- Students should wear a mask/face covering while checking in to the workout.
- Students should use hand sanitizer at the beginning of the workout during the check in process. We will have hand sanitizer at the check in station.
- Each participant will be recorded on a Student-Athlete Screening Information sheet. The coach/sponsor will go through while filling out all information.
- Coaches will take students’ temperature. If the temperature is 100.4 or above, the student is not allowed to participate and must be sent home. Coaches will notify the building level athletic director if a student is sent home due to temperature.
- The coaches will ask each participant the student health screening questions. If a student answers yes to two of the following questions, the student is not allowed to participate and must be sent home. 1. Dry Cough, 2. Shortness of Breath, or 3. Sore Throat. The coaches will notify the building level athletic director if a student is sent home due to temperature. Players who are sent home will not be allowed to return to workouts until they have been symptom free for 72 consecutive hours. Honesty is of the upmost importance to help keep everyone healthy and safe. If you do not feel well, please do not come to the workout. These are only voluntary and our health and safety is the more important than one workout day.
During the Workout
- Coaches and players will make sure to maintain social distancing (6 ft) at all times. NO EXCEPTIONS. We will be doing individual and team work and will maintain our social distance for the duration of the workout while we are not on the court actively participating.
- Even if students are well over the social distanced requirement, students are still required to wear a mask/face covering while actually working out.
- Participants will report in proper gear and immediately return home to shower at the end of the workout/activity. We recommend that you also wash your workout clothes after participation as well.
After the Workout
- Coaches will require all students to immediately leave the facility and ensure the students get in their vehicles and leave the campus. There will NOT be any congregating in the facilities or in the parking lots. At Erps, the exit point will be the doors next to the Health Room; at the Small Gym the exit point will be the doors from the gym that open on to Nevada (west doors).
- Using the aqueous water solution, coaches will mist any equipment or surface the students have been in contact with and touched.
To participate in our workouts, we will all need to be disciplined and focused on observing these guidelines, starting with completing the waiver to participate and either send it to the coaches or bring it with you to the first day of workout. We did a great job with this over the summer and I know we can carry that momentum into this fall and eventually the actual season in January. This is a great opportunity, lets make sure we seize it!